"Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit." Elbert Hubbard







Friday, June 25, 2010

Support Your Local Farmers

It's that time of year again. The farmer's markets are open. Yesterday was the first market day of the season here in Barnegat. Pictured below are some of the delicious things that were available, all grown here in New Jersey, not shipped halfway across the country. It's a beautiful thing to get to know the people who actually produce what you eat, to talk to them face to face and let them know how much their efforts mean to you.

I can't understand not having a personal relationship with the good folks who bring food out the earth. For too much of my life I knew nothing about what I ate except that it came from the store. Not anymore.






Next week I'll be picking up some of these cucumbers and try my hand at making my own pickles. It's much easier than you think. What's better than eating food you produced yourself?


I didn't catch their names, but here are the two lovely ladies running the stand I stopped at. That's okay as I will be back next week and bring them a sample of what I baked using the honey purchased from them. I did converse at length with the young lady on the left. She's pursuing a career in culinary arts and is starting at the same school I am looking at attending next year. We also knew some of the same instructors as she just completed school where I took courses this past spring.


I only had enough cash on me for some wildflower honey and peaches, the first pick of the season. I had one today and it was wonderful.

To make my day better, a suprise was waiting for me at home. I recently subscribed to Edible Jersey Magazine and my first issue was in the mailbox. They even sent me the last issue as a bonus. It's published quarterly, following the seasons. The summer issue has stories about scallops from off the Jersey coast (and the hard working fishermen who bring them in), Hopewell Valley Vineyards, and pickles (including how to make your own).

Just more reasons I'm settled here and never leaving. As for the blueberries from my previous post? My home is filled with the scent of fresh baked blueberry bread.

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients."
Julia Child

2 comments:

  1. And that blueberry bread is good! We just had BLT's with fresh tomatoes from our farmer's market, and some yellow wax beans tonite. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it, more than happy to share good food with friends.

    ReplyDelete